- The most simple and effective means of looking after the teeth is to clean them morning and evening with a toothpaste that contains fluoride. Using floss or interdental brushes to remove debris from between the teeth also helps to keep them looking good.
- See a dentist for check-ups. They can advise on the condition of the teeth and gums; and spot minor issues and treat them before they become major problems.
- It’s worth making an appointment with the hygienist to get the teeth professionally cleaned – this can make a significant difference when it comes to any staining or discolouration.
- It’s a good idea to think carefully about the foods and drinks being consumed. People who eat and drink a lot of sugary items are at much greater risk of tooth decay. Switching to water between meals and eating less chocolate and so on can make a big difference to the condition of the teeth.
- There are some foods that can actually act as protectors of the teeth. Dairy products and vegetables that contain lots of calcium can safeguard the bones surrounding the teeth and potentially prevent tooth loss.
- Many people who are keen to keep their teeth in the best possible condition chew gum after meals. It must be sugar free, and it helps to remove any bits of food left in the mouth. Gum can also help to stimulate saliva production – which allows the teeth to be remineralised. When minerals are replaced in the teeth in this way, they remain stronger for longer – and they look better too.
- For people whose teeth are badly discoloured or stained, sometimes even the highest standards of oral hygiene aren’t enough to get the best look. In this case, getting a professional whitening treatment can be the best option. This is usually relatively quick and pain-free, and can be a great means of increasing confidence in the improve the smile.
- If there are missing, crooked, crowded is misshapen teeth, people shouldn’t stop smiling or just suffer on with a lack of confidence. Talking to the dentist about any issues or concerns can be the first step to getting a brand new lease of life. There is a wide range of options for people seeking treatment to get a improve the smile, and a good dentist can help to find the best choice for the greatest possible end result.
- People who smoke and are unhappy with the appearance of their teeth should consider getting help to stop for good. Stopping smoking can help to reduce staining and slow gum recession; as well as making tooth loss less likely.
Take control. People who want to get improve the smile should take control instead of suffering or worrying in silence – visit the dentist to get help and advice; make a point of maintaining the best possible oral hygiene; and don’t be afraid to get specialist treatments like implants or braces to help improve the teeth.